Help clear the hangover with the questions below…
Answers now at post 346
Following on from StJohn’s crossword and Rod Crosby’s quiz, an international quiz to welcome in 2009. No prizes, but a full set of answers will be posted later. As Peter Snow said, “… it’s just a bit of fun…”
1. Which book features canine characters based on members of Harold Wilson’s Cabinet?
2. “So dumb he can’t fart and chew gum at the same time” was whose unflattering assessment of whom?
3. Which country limits its politicians to a single term only?
4. Who was the last German Chancellor before Merkel to preside over a Grand Coalition?
5. Which country’s electoral map includes an area in grey representing a monastic enclave?
6. What is the electoral threshold required to win a seat in a) the Knesset b) the Dutch Tweede Kamer?
7. Which US state has parishes instead of counties?
8. Name the French PMs who have served during periods of cohabitation in the Fifth Republic.
9. What is the “donkey vote” and where would you find it?
10. In which country in the last 10 years did a party finishing third in the popular vote go on to provide the next head of government?
11. Which current national leader has been likened to Harry Potter?
12. Who is the only PM to have served longer than Berlusconi since the founding of the Republic in Italy?
13. Which party is represented on ballots by a hand?
14. In which country does the translation of the Liberals’ name mean “Left”, although they are now a party of the centre-right?
15. “Convergence and Union” is the name of the main nationalist party in which region?
16. What is the connection between Cavan-Monaghan, LozÃ¨re, Schiermonnikoog, and Vorarlberg?
17. In which country are both main party leaders relatives of former Prime Ministers?
18. In which established democracy is there a governing coalition, although a single party government would have a comfortable majority?
19. Where a) did the current President succeed their spouse and b) are the presidential election results normally available abroad first? (Two different countries)
20. Which country has a new President every year and had the same party composition in Cabinet from 1959-2003?
21. Not at all in the spirit of the festive season, who described whom, his predecessor as party leader, as “a lying c*** with a limited future”?
Happy New Year and all the very best for 2009.