Home of the web’s best political conversation
If you’re feeling, Under Pressure, why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.
If you’re a lurker, and you’re thinking, I Want To Break Free from lurking, why not delurk tonight, you’ll find posting on PB is A Kind of Magic.
The round up of recent events (click on the links below, and it will bring up the relevant link)
- Jeremy Hunt writes on comment if free. Polly Toynbee should not call us nefarious. Conservatives genuinely care about the NHS
- PMQs verdict: There’s no such thing as half a truce, Ed.
- The deep freeze between Labour and the Lib Dems just stopped thawing
- Vince Cable nails Labour’s crass and inaccurate attacks on Lib Dems’ support for the minimum wage
- Where Labour and the Left got it wrong on immigration, and how to fix it
- It was Enoch Powell’s fervent wish that I might never be born
- An open letter from Owen Jones to Ukip voters. I’m in far more agreement with you than your leaders are
- Mark Carney deals blow to Labour bank review plan
- Les Misérables – Calculating the “severity index” of financial crises
- Former NUM leader Arthur Scargill ‘tried to buy London flat under Margaret Thatcher’s right-to-buy scheme’
- Police crime figures lose official status over claims of fiddling. UK Statistics Authority withdraws gold-standard status from police figures, pointing to ‘accumulating evidence’ of unreliability
- BBC’s Nick Robinson left red-faced by Fat Bottomed Girls ringtone. Conservative MP Shailesh Vara’s defence of banker’s bonuses on the BBC Daily Politics show is interrupted by Nick Robinson’s iPad ringtone playing Queen’s 1970s hit Fat Bottomed Girls
- European Arrest Warrant is a vital weapon in the fight against crime
- IMF head Lagarde warns of growing threat of deflation
- Five reasons Universal Credit will fail – even if they sort out the IT
- Iain Duncan Smith’s welfare reforms are forcing many Britons into “forced penury” as they mark an increasing return to the principles of the Victorian “Poor Laws”, leading academics have warned.
- Tomorrow is the 2,041st anniversary of The Roman Senate granting the title Augustus to Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus, marking the beginning of the Roman Empire.
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand descendant: don’t blame us for first world war. Karl Habsburg-Lothringen says major powers were ready for war anyway when heir to Habsburg empire was assassinated
- Iranian news agency says the U.S. is secretly run by Nazi space aliens. Really.
- Did Iranian Fighters Battle UFOs?